5 September 2011

So... I arrived! I'm not going to lie, my first experience in the states was HORRIBLE! The flight arrived at Miami airport late and then passport control took hours to get through - American Airlines were sooo mean as I'd flown in with BA (despite my connecting flight being with them?!). So I missed my connecting flight  to Jacksonville - even though a lovely lovely lady spoke spanish to a family in front and then a the few more people in front let me push in - and worked myself into tears at the airport! Lol!

With that out of the way I accepted I had missed my flight, qued for a further hour or so and then was re-booked onto a flight. I think the initial emotions were more down to anxiety about the hotel still being open when I arrived, not knowing the country/anyone in it! I was completely, in true Fairbridge style, 'out of my comfort zone'!

Nevertheless, the views on the flight over were amazing, I have had an extra day to settle in due to it being labor day and my contact at Daniel Memorial emailing last week to say this means I start on Tuesday. I used yesterday to familiarise myself with the city of Jacksonville - apparently it's the biggest city in America (in terms of size not people) - everything is so spread out so I walked the two and a half miles into the town centre and treated myself to a proper American homemade burger - it was amazingly tasty! Today I walked to the local 'grocery store' and then spent the day by the pool as it's been 29 degrees. I am completely refreshed and excited about meeting the staff at Daniel Memorial tomorrow....


P.S I also got talking to a guy by the pool today who is an ex-Crip (Crips and Bloods gangs in America) and spent some time in prison alongside the guys that assassinated Malcolm X.....

No comments: